La Balade des GnomesDurbuy, Belgium
Be swept up in your own magical fairytale at this Hobbit-meets-Game of Thrones-meets-Star Trek oddball. At La Balade Des Gnomes (the Walk of Gnomes) you can throw yourself into the narrative of your choice in one of 10 peculiar handcrafted rooms. Each is made from natural materials – think mud, lime and straw – and sculpted into an otherworldly masterpiece.
Nab the Trojan Horse suite, complete with a drawbridge entrance and built within (you guessed it) a giant wooden horse, bunk down in the troll’s lair – with running stream and goldfish – or beam yourself up into a spaceship odyssey. One of the rooms even has a mermaid to keep you company.
- Escaping into the magical fantasy of your chosen room
- The incredible attention to detail
- Delicious breakfast of eggs, bread, meats and cheeses, served in your room
- The staff’s limited English; you may want to brush up on your French (and the website’s in French too)
- It’s isolated: a 20-minute drive outside of the town of Durbuy
La Balade des Gnomes is a one-and-a-half hour drive from Brussels Airport, and easily accessible by car.
- King-size bed
- Bath ensuite
Rooms from around US$125 with breakfast.
If you want to take a stickybeak at the other rooms just ask the owner.