Travel back in time at the GibsonLondon, UK
If the idea of being served a pickled onion in your martini seems unappetising, then a trip to the Gibson will surely change your mind. The eponymous signature drink – said to be dreamed up in the early 1900s – is just one of a cornucopia of Willy Wonka-style concoctions that this Edwardian hidey-hole offers. The bar menu reads like a dizzying hybrid of theatre script-cum-illustrated novel and may take some time to decode; but it’s a worthwhile endeavour.
Cocktails are served in a bewildering array of vessels (a bear-shaped glass with a honeycomb hat, anyone?) and a wild assortment of ingredients (hello finger lime pearls, jalapeno jam and cactus puree) are deftly handled. It must be this winning combination that earned the Gibson sixth place in the World’s 50 Best Bars of 2016.
- The Willy Wonker-esque contraptions your cocktail will be served in with extravagant garnishes. Try the Dream of Genie served in a genie bottle of course
- The quirky menu organised in ‘seasons’ and ‘months’
- The most inventive cocktails in London. Try the Glittering Pig with gin, oregano, spiced supper berry, blackstrap molasses, sparkling white grape juice, and germinated alfalfa shoots
- The piano player is also a tasty addition
- The Gibson is not large…booking is recommended