Great Ocean Road retreatVictoria, Australia
It’s one of the greatest drives in the world, but luxury accommodation along the Great Ocean Road is rare. Thankfully, we’ve discovered Alkina Lodge, a trio of four-bedroom villas designed by Glenn Murcutt and Wendy Lewin. Positioned in a clearing above the Southern Ocean, they offer every facility you could need plus luxuries like a fireplace, Bose sound system and a huge, freestanding bathtub.
The lodges are positioned to offer the utmost privacy while allowing guests to wake to the sight of kangaroos grazing on the lawn. Sky windows in the bathrooms and living spaces encourage lying back and enjoying a view of wafting clouds or twinkling stars. Best of all, this is a prime jumping-off point for the region’s attractions, from the 12 Apostles to the koala-rich area around Cape Otway.
- Watching the wild Kangaroos in the garden
- The views of the ocean in the background to help you unwind from a day of driving
- The fireplace to cosy up to on a cold night with a glass of wine of course!
- The hosts helpful tips and advice of the attractions and best walks close by
- No reception is a bummer in some accommodation, but the hosts here go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need that you’ll forget there is no reception
Start your journey in Melbourne and hire a car to get you down the Great Ocean Road.
- Free Wi-Fi & Parking
- Free bikes for use
- BBQ facilities
- DVD player, DVDs and books for use
From US$300 a night