The stunning Pacific Islands aren’t just synonymous with paradise – they are paradise! Well, that is if you consider clean, white stretches of sand being lapped by warm azure-blue water and fringed by tropical forests to be paradise. Then there’s the small villages full of friendly locals, amazing wildlife and almost constant sunshine. But it has got to be the warm, relaxing atmosphere that really makes the Pacific Islands such a heavenly place – it invigorates the soul and even the most stressed-out person can’t help but feel relaxed and pampered when visiting.
There are approximately 25,000 islands dotting the Pacific Ocean, and these are divided into the three primary groups of Micronesia, Melanesia and Polynesia. We say approximately, because there are possibly some still to be discovered, and many are so remote that they haven’t yet been fully explored. So unless you want a Cast Away experience, you’re better off sticking to the larger, inhabited islands.
The best and most accessible region for visitors from Australia is Melanesia, which contains Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia. And the best way to get there? Via a cruise ship with Carnival Cruise Line, of course. Here’s why you should experience the Pacific Islands on a cruise at least once in your life…
The name Fiji is probably one you’ve heard before, and that’s because the tropical oasis is one of the region’s most visited destinations. Having said that, its popularity does not take away from its pristine beauty and relaxed island vibes. Fiji is made up of 333 spectacular islands, each boasting beautiful beaches, amazing diving sites and colourful reefs, as well as smiling locals and all the mod-cons you’d expect from a luxury resort island.
There are so many things you can explore along the shores of this nirvana-like paradise, such as…
– Dive or snorkel among a rainbow of soft corals
– Take a longboat to visit Nailililili Historical Village
– Explore beautiful Taveuni Island with its lush forests and spectacular volcanic mountain
– Experience the fascinating island culture during a live show
– Take the plunge on a river rafting expedition
– Relax in a natural thermal pool
JOURNEY TO VANUATU
This scattered archipelago of more than 80 islands is the place to go if you want to combine adventure with relaxation. You can hike up an active volcano one minute, then come back down for a swim and a drink of kava with the local ni-Van people the next.
With stunning beaches, rugged rainforests, unbeatable diving spots (a few with shipwrecks!) and so much more, you’ll always find something to do in Vanuatu.
If you’re on a Carnival cruise, you can also…
– Experience Vanuatu’s ancient culture during a village visit
– Get the adrenaline pumping on a flying fox adventure through the Emerald Forest
– Try out zorbing at Wet ‘n’ Wild Adventure Park
– Enjoy a horseback safari
– Embark on a snorkelling trip to discover spectacular marine life
– Lounge under cool, cascading waterfalls (image the photos!)
PARADISE IN NEW CALEDONIA
Imagine an unspoiled tropical paradise with picturesque scenery and beaches that would make any professional photographer weak at the knees. Now add in a healthy dose of French culture and you’ll get some idea of what New Caledonia is like. Another destination that offers plenty of action, it’s also home to a UNESCO World Heritage-listed lagoon, plus many more natural wonders.
Make sure you also…
– Relax on the white-sand beaches of the Isle of Pines
– Visit Lifou’s phenomenal forest and secret grotto
– Enjoy a guided Segway tour in Forest Parc
– Take a fun Zodiac ride to Duck Island
– Try stand-up paddle boarding at lovely Kuendu Beach
– See Noumea via the popular yellow Tchou Tchou train
DO IT ALL!
If that sounds like the makings of your dream holiday, you’ll be glad to know these experiences are available on a Carnival South Pacific cruise. In fact, you’ll also have more than 45 activities to choose from while you’re onboard, including mini golf, dive-in movies, a waterpark, Camp Ocean for the kids, plus a variety of bars for the adults to enjoy.
Carnival Splendor is now sailing from Sydney to the Pacific Islands. Join us on a cruise for an experience like no other!
Prices vary depending on the duration of your cruise.