The Disneyland of SpasOberlangenfeld, Austria
Way up in the mountains the words Aqua Dome must mean relaxation with a view, because that’s exactly what's on offer here, near Oberlängengeld in the Austrian state of Tirol. This wellness hotel and thermal spa is brimming with saunas (there's one with hay, and another in a loft), hot pools, a steam cathedral, saltwater grotto, herbal bath and indulgent pampering possibilities back at the spa, making it more than just a spot to catch some Zs after a long day on the slopes.
Take a dip under the cascading indoor waterfall before venturing through the canals leading to the bowl-shaped pools outside. Teetering on stilts up to 12 metres high, the pools appear suspended in the air, like a spaceship levitating through the Alps. Who would have thought floating in futuristic bowls could be so relaxing?
- The view of the Alps from your room and the pools
- The delicious Austrian food served at the hotel
- The way your skin feels after soaking in a thermal pool
- The underwater music playing in the basin pools
- There’s so much attention to detail throughout the hotel
- No clothes (or swimsuits) allowed in the sauna. Yep, that means you have to go in naked
- If you’re accustomed to scorching hot pools you may find the ones here a bit cool
- It’s big, so you don’t get that same cosy feeling you have at a boutique hotel
Aqua Dome is a 45-minute drive from Innsbruck. If you don’t have a car you can take a bus from Innsbruck to Längenfeld or take a train from Innsbruck to Ötztal Bahnhof then catch a bus.
- Thermal pools
- Sauna and fitness centre
- Fireplaces (in some suites)
- Free wi-fi
- Free car parking
Double rooms start at about US$375 a couple, which includes half board and spa tickets.
This is a great place to relax, but there’s also heaps to do nearby. There are more 1300 kilometres of hiking trails nearby and about 150 kilometres of slopes for winter fun.