Isla MotelBatemans Bay, Australia
Luxury and motel aren't usually words that go together.
But a new wave of upmarket retro motels have been springing up all over western travel routes, and the trend has reached Bateman's Bay.
Isla Motel is one of these, 18 retro-inspired rooms in what was previously a run-down motel, catering to a new generation of travellers looking for affordable luxury. It's the best of both worlds.
The outside of the motel is Byron Bay-chic, but hardly pretentious. The fact that the motel is a drop punt away from Bateman's famed shoreline is another tick - the perfect place to come back to after grabbing a few waves.
You don't even need to get to the beach - take it easy by the pool, which doesn't look like someone's been murdered in it like all the other motel pools you've ever seen (we're sure this is the look they were going for).
The Isla opens this weekend (16 April).
- Getting the best of both worlds – unpretentious luxury while not paying an absolute mint
- Strolling down to the water and taking it very, very easy
- A motel pool you can swim in
- It’s not a motel and it’s not a hotel, so if you’re looking for either of these, you’re out of luck
- Bateman’s Bay is a pretty long way from anywhere