La Maison du Banian Tree houseEfate, Vanuatu
Robinson Crusoe eat your heart out. This enchanting tree house, 10 kilometres from Vanuatu’s capital, Port Vila, is an architectural wonder that seamlessly blends island living with the natural environment. The house is built in and around a giant banyan tree and is furnished with home comforts made exclusively from natural materials and fibre.
Take a swing in a hanging bamboo chair and climb a ladder to the loft bedroom, where you’ll wake to birdsong under a canopy of natangora leaves. Feast on a breakfast smorgasbord of fruit and freshly laid eggs, courtesy of the rainforest garden and its resident chickens.
- Sleeping in a treetop bedroom in an isolated paradise
- Gathering fresh tropical fruits
- Sharing kava with the locals
- They provide mosquito nets for a reason; it’s worth investing in some strong mosquito repellent too
- You’ll need to bring some extra food for dinner to go with your garden veggie hot pot
La Maison du Banian is located about 10 kilometres from the capital, Port-Vila. Vanuatu is accessible by plane with Air Vanuatu, Air Calin and Qantas, or by cruise ship from New Caledonia.
- Mosquito net
- Linen and towels
- Charcoal grill
- Soap and shampoo
- Open bamboo bathroom
- Solar power and kerosene lamps
- Esky with ice
Prices start at about US$76 per night.