California’s kooky Madonna InnCalifornia, USA
If you’re driving up the famous 101 freeway along the central Californian coast, the landmark Madonna Inn is hard to miss, and downright impossible to pass up.
A bizarre mix of Wild West bordello, Fred Flintstone’s cave and the Playboy mansion, Madonna Inn features rooms fitted out with unique themes, including kitsch details such as mounted buffalo heads, old prairie wagons, bold animal prints and showers (and urinals) carved out of rock. Try one of the trio of merry-go-round themed rooms for a whimsical slumber that’s sure to induce sweet dreams.
- It’s colourful, kooky and over-the-top… and isn’t that what good old American road trips are all about?
- Having a shower under a waterfall
- Gorging on the hotel’s famous pink champagne cake
- It’s super kitsch, so if ‘his and her clubs,’ cherubs and pink-everything aren’t your thing, you may want to keep driving
The hotel is minutes from downtown San Luis Obispo and 4.8 kilometres from San Luis Obispo Airport (SBP). US Airways and United provide direct daily flights from Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Phoenix, and you can take a complimentary shuttle service for all flights into San Luis Obispo from 8am–7pm, seven days a week.
- Non-smoking rooms available
- Flat-screen TV with news, cable network and movies on demand
- Refrigerator (by request)
- Pool, exercise room and day spa
- Iron and ironing board
- In-room safe (except rooms with rock features)
- Bar/cocktail lounge, bakery and restaurants
- Complimentary parking
- Coffee maker
Rooms start at US$199 per night.
Some of the rooms have unusual names but pretty standard design – be sure to check for one that’s high on drama and book it specifically over the phone.