Picnic with the Penan MalaysiaSarawak, Malaysia
In Sarawak’s jungle, learning to live and survive as the indigenous Penan is a journey back to basics. Taking visitors deep into the heart of the jungle, exploring the national parks and trekking beneath a tangled rainforest canopy to the traditional homes of the Penan tribe, Adventure Alternative offer travellers the opportunity to learn from the indigenous people about their way of life.
You’ll learn to identify medicinal and edible plants, undertake jungle survival skills and craft traditional gifts as well as shower in waterfalls, lighting fires and sleeping in a hammock – you’ll become an expert on how they live and work. Once you’ve completed your time with the Penan, you’ll be expertly equipped to embark on a wetland river safari, take a visit to an orangutan rehabilitation centre or search for the native proboscis monkey and Irrawaddy dolphin.
- An immersive trip into the Sarawak rainforest to visit the Penan people and see how they live, and be guests in their village
- See how the local people run a seed collecting and tree planting operation
- Learning how to identify medicinal and edible plants, undertake jungle survival skills, and crafting traditional gifts
- Shower in waterfalls and sleeping in a hammock
- Sarawak jungle and a wetlands river safari to search for the endemic proboscis monkey and the rare Irrawady dolphin
- Visit to an Orangutan rehabilitation centre
- Life in the jungle may not be everyone’s bag so keep an eye out for snakes and leeches!
For a 16-day Picnic with Penan adventure tour, prices start from US$2433 per person for the 16-day tour Picnic with Penan but shorter trips are also available.