Swim with humpbacks in paradiseMoorea, French Polynesia
It is difficult to explain the adrenaline rush when you first spot a 15-metre-long humpback whale rising out of the deep blue depths below your dangling feet. As it rises, your guide encourages you to "swim, swim, swim" until you're within only a few metres of the huge surfacing mammal; so close, in fact, you can catch the gaze of its eye staring right through you as it surfaces for a breath. Suffice to say, this has to be one of the world's great wildlife experiences.
And if you are going to swim with humpback whales then why not do it in the warm waters of French Polynesia while basing yourself on a luxury catamaran?
The team at Majestic Whale Encounters are experts in humpback whale experiences, with offerings in French Polynesia's outer Austral Islands and Tonga. But if you want to do it in style, cruising Moorea on a yacht is the way to go.
- Whales, whales, whales! Swimming with them is incredible
- Spectacular evening sunsets over the lagoon
- Splashing about with mantas and sharks in the afternoon
- French Polynesia is gloriously beautiful
- Exploring the stunning island of Moorea
- Getting seasick if the ocean is rough
- Sharing the catamaran with others (but that’s actually quite enjoyable)
- French Polynesia ain’t for tight arses. It’s pricey
Air Tahiti Nui have flights into Papeete and from there it is a short ferry ride to Moorea where the Majestic team will pick you up.
While not overly difficult, you do need to be a reasonable swimmer.
In fact, the better you are at swimming the more fun you’ll have as the ability to freedive allows you to really get close to the whales and hear their song.