4 Rivers Floating LodgeTatai, Cambodia
Lose yourself in the Cambodian wilderness at this remote overwater river escape, deep within the virgin forest of the Cardamom Mountains. Wake to the serenade of howling gibbons in your floating, tented villa as the last wisps of mist rise from the Tatai River and the jungle roars to life.
Each of the 12 villas takes its inspiration from the safari tents of African game parks, with luxury fittings, mini-bar and even a TV for those evenings when you’re feeling a little disconnected from the real world.
During the day, kayak down the river and enjoy a ‘hydro massage’ courtesy of the Tatai Waterfalls, go fishing with the locals or try your luck spotting the rare Javan rhinoceros, Indochinese tiger and Asian elephant. From your balcony, dangle your feet in the water – sunset cocktail in hand – then enjoy Khmer cuisine matched with fine wines before retiring to your heavenly king-size bed.
- Sleeping in gorgeous, eco-friendly tents
- The delicious Cambodian food, especially the fish
- Joining a trekking tour into the jungle to explore the culture of the inhabitants of the Cardamom Mountains
- Waking up to an untouched paradise full of tropical wildlife
- Kayaking through mangroves and exploring waterfalls
- It’s humid (you’re in Cambodia!) so expect to be sticky
- The tents can feel a little close together
- Sometimes the river has jellyfish – a bonus for some travellers, but not all
The resort is located in Tatai, next to the Thai border halfway between Bangkok and Phnom Penh (via Koh Chang). The closest airport is 45 minutes away in Trat, Thailand. There are daily flights to and from Bangkok with Bangkok Airways. Otherwise Tatai is 20 minutes by car from Koh Kong City, four hours from Phnom Penh or three hours from Sihanoukville. The resort offers two scheduled boat transfers each day – at 2pm and 5pm – from Tatai.
- Flatscreen TV
- DVD player
- Private balcony
Double rooms from US$260 a night, including breakfast and transfers on the scheduled boat service.