A lone room in the wildernessKaikoura, New Zealand
Hide away in your own slice of heaven. There are two PurePods about 20 minutes from Kaikoura (a third is located an hour from Christchurch), but each is located in a different spot to ensure complete privacy. And you need it, since the walls here are all made of glass. On a warm day, throw them open to completely surround yourself in fresh air and birdsong. In winter, you can lie in bed and stare out over snow-capped peaks. The pods are off-grid, but have everything you could need, as well as excellent extras like binoculars, reference books and board games. Bring food with you or have breakfast and dinner hampers delivered.
- The thoughtful extras such as binoculars and board games.
- You don’t need to feel claustrophobic – the sliding glass doors open on three sides.
- The location – some of the pods are just an hour’s drive from Christchurch.
- Although there’s a range of nature’s cooling devices (blinds, ceiling shades, sliding doors, open windows etc) there is no air con.
- It’s a ‘BYO activity’ kind of place – if board games and the call of the great outdoors won’t suffice this might not be the property for you.
About US$360 a night.