Asia's radical new hilltop retreatKandy, Sri Lanka
Strip everything away and the mind begins to clear. That’s the thinking behind Sri Lanka’s first wellness retreat, where the doors opened in 2016. Located in the countryside about an hour from Kandy, Santani Wellness Resort & Spa overlooks lush hills and terraced tea plantations. The design is minimalist in the extreme, although the concrete bunker styling of the saltwater soaking room and sleek lines of the infinity pool will dazzle lovers of architectural form. There’s no wi-fi or televisions, encouraging guests to reconnect with their sense of self and the world around them. Days are filled with hikes, yoga, swimming in the river, mountain biking and indulging in massages, reiki and Ayurvedic treatments.
- All meals and activities are included, meaning you can enjoy yoga, mountain bike riding, meditation and cooking classes to your heart’s content
- Disconnecting from the world, but also knowing you’re not completely unreachable
- Located in the countryside, Santani is not the most easily accessible hotel on the island
- Wi-fi isn’t offered freely, however it is available in-room on-demand
Fly with AirAsia into Colombo international airport, then either take a local domestic flight or a scenic train ride to Kandy.
- Yoga pavilion
- Sauna, steam room, thermal salt bath and an infinity lap pool
- Complimentary minibar
- An open-air pavilion lounge with biodynamic wine and a fresh juice bar
Double rooms from US$495 a night, including meals and activities (treatments extra).
Programs run for between three and 14 days, although Santani can accommodate shorter visits.