CocomamaAmsterdam, The Netherlands
It’s not every night you get to bed down in a former brothel. If the walls of Cocomama could talk they would have some sordid stories to tell, but fear not, you won’t find any icky notches on the bedposts here.
Touted as Amsterdam’s first boutique hostel, Cocomama combines the elegant style of a luxury hotel with more informal comforts. Located in the heart of the city, the building boasts high ceilings, chandeliers and quirky Dutch ornaments hanging from the walls.
Travellers can keep to themselves or hang out in the ‘movie corner’ with Joop, the resident cat. Go for a private pad and choose between the Dutch-themed rooms – think tulips and forests – or grab a bed in the ‘red light district’ dorm.
- The insider knowledge of the city that the staff eagerly share
- Escaping the bustle of the city in the hostel’s garden
- Staying close to everything, including museums and a daily market
- Joop the cat, who chills in the common area
- This is a hostel, so if you’re after something with a little less buzz a hotel might be more up your alley
- Queen-size bed (in a private room)
- Ensuite bathroom
- Coffee and tea
- Free wi-fi
- Room safe
Mixed dorm beds start at around US$30 per night, while private double rooms will set you back around US$85.