Booze and bocce at Mr Wow’s EmporiumFitzroy, Australia
Mr Wow's Emporium is a bar with balls. Bottles of premium spirits, malts and house-made bitters stand proudly behind a curvaceous counter. Dusk lighting falls on brick walls and a polished concrete floor. But it’s the boules that will catch your eye. Yes, two lanes of indoor bocce, and a billiards table – bar brilliance.
There’s a boules competition every Wednesday, complete with sweet beats and liquid treats. There's often free popcorn floating around, so grab a bowl and line your stomach (just beware, the saltiness will have you shelling out for a few extra thirst quenchers). After a few solid drinks, the Melbourne road map plastered across the wall may be surprisingly helpful.
- Trying your hand at a game of bocce, ping pong or pool
- The outdoor/indoor patio overlooking the busy end of Smith Street, one of Melbourne’s finest strips
- Finding your location on the giant Melbourne map
- Hard surfaces means the bar gets very noisy when packed
- On weekends there can be a line to get in
Expect to pay around US$15 for a cocktail. This is Melbourne, after all.
Boules is easy at first, but watch it get progressively more difficult with each drink.
This place can get packed during peak drinking hours. Try your luck slipping in the back door by entering via the bar underneath and dashing up the back staircase.