Summer Camp for AdultsMendocino, USA
Feel like a kid again – or re-create scenes from some of your favourite movies – at these summer camps for adults. With the slogan ‘disconnect to reconnect’, Camp Grounded is the ultimate gadget-free getaway for tech addicts who want to get off the grid. Hand in your smartphone, laptop and assorted devices because here face time honours the true definition of the term, and the only posting you might do involves a mallet and dirt.
This is the perfect environment for grown-ups to tap into more wholesome childhood pastimes. For four days you can roast marshmallows during a campfire singalong, stargaze, learn to play a ukulele, take part in creative workshops, hike, bake, swim in the lake and shoot arrows. Hold your own in a laughing contest and be on guard for one hell of a pillow fight. You’ll have so much fun, you won’t want your gizmos back.
There are camps in New York, Texas and North Carolina, but our favourite Camp Grounded is set on 800 hectares on the edge of Jackson State Forest in California. It's a renovated 1930s camp, surrounded by old-growth coastal redwoods. Trek into the forest to find secret forts and bands playing late into the night, or take a dip in the River Noyo, which runs through the property.
- Feeling like a kid again
- The chance to stay at an all-American camp, just like you’ve seen in the movies
- Learning how to do some cool new things – rock climbing, charcoal drawing, gospel singing, sailing… the list goes on
- Singing at meal times may be taking the whole thing a bit too far, especially given the no-alcohol policy
- Sharing cabins with people you don’t know
- It’s a lot cheaper to just get a crew of friends together, ditch your phones and head to a park to camp without the crowd
- Cabins with bunks sleeping six to 24 campers
- Linen available for hire
- Tent and sleeping bag rental available if you’d prefer some privacy
- Dozens of planned activities
- Bathrooms with toilets, showers, sinks and mirrors
The three-night camp costs US$695, although there are cheaper early-bird tickets available if you’re planning ahead. The price includes accommodation in a shared cabin (or you can bring your own tent), all activities, meals and more.
How difficult it is depends on the activities you choose – rock climbing is a lot more challenging than hurtling down a slip ‘n slide.
No animals, children or glitter allowed, which is fine by us.