Chongwe River CampZambia
Chongwe River Camp is one of the most established camps in Africa and a go-to destination for safari lovers.
Parked on the banks where the Zambezi and Chongwe rivers converge, its nine classic tents and larger tented suites (they have plunge pools) are decked out in luxurious colonial style, with outdoor bathrooms and private decks overlooking the magnificent surrounds. Of course, any trip to Africa must have its share of wildlife and you won’t have to wait long after you’ve arrived. Elephants visit the camp, hippos live in the river – and serenade guests day and night – and lions are never far away. Once you’ve had your fill of exploration for the day, the chefs cook amazing meals you can eat beneath the night sky.
During the day… All guests have guides who can take them out on safari – whether you want to see prides of lions or fancy yourself as a twitcher – in canoes, 4WDs or on foot. There’s also the chance to go fishing or visit local communities.
- Surrounded by wildlife on the stunning Zambezi river
- Waking up to elephants and monkeys visiting the camp and hippos in the river
- The array of quality food available including vegetarian
- River safaris on the Zambezi
- Communal dining and hanging by the fire with the other travellers at night
- The camp is outside the National Park and drives can be long…but it will be well worth it
Fly into the national park via Zambia’s capital city Lusaka. Lower Zambezi is also accessible by 4×4 vehicle.
- Private, shaded outdoor bathrooms with a freestanding bath and shower
- Verandah with views across the river
- Free breakfast
- Bar / lounge
From about US$710 per person a night, including local transfers, meals, most drinks, activities and laundry.