Escape to the Wahtiki Island LoungeHong Kong, China
You won’t find stereotypical tropical shirts and straw-roofed hats at the tiki-themed Wahtiki Island Lounge. Here, old-school reggae booms from the speakers, infusing a laid-back vibe to this tropical third-floor bar in Wyndham Street, Hong Kong. Wicker furniture borders timber-finished tables, and the walls are decorated with Polynesian motifs enhanced by scattered fronds of green foliage and subtle warm lighting.
It’s the cocktail list that really captures the tiki-imagination of party-goers, though. Created by resident mixologist, Shi Wah Lee, who has more than 40 years’ experience shaking things up in tiki-themed bars throughout London, Asia and the Middle East, the menu offers a selection of classic tiki cocktails, sharing drinks and tiki-style shots. While tropical fruits and rum play a heavy role in the drinks menu, seafood and Polynesian fusion takes the spotlight in the food department.
- The selection of tiki inspired cocktails. Try the Samoan Fog Cutter or the Wahtiki Sling
- Mai Tai Mondays – two for one Mai Tais from 5:30 to late
- The delicious Asian and Polynesian fusion menu
- The laid back vibe and live music
- Trying to stay off the booze? Ask the mixologist for a mocktale, he’s the mixmaster, he’s capable of anything