Famous Wines at the Valley ProjectSanta Barbara, USA
Tucked in the Funk Zone, an industrial waterfront area packed with restaurants, bars and galleries, AVA Santa Barbara is the ideal establishment to learn about the region’s famous wines. The first thing you notice stepping into the sleek tasting room is a giant chalkboard behind the bar. On it Los Angeles artist Elkpen has scrawled a map of local wineries complete with the geographical features that influence the wine.
Plonk yourself down at the long wooden table, sip a glass of Californian chardonnay and learn about the different temperatures at which grapes are harvested, the impact of microclimates and the influence of fog, smoke and the ocean. Move to pinot noir, syrah or maybe even malbec, and examine petri dishes stuck to the wall and mason jars studded with soil samples that demonstrate differing terroirs.
- Learning about the different influences and techniques used to create each delicious drop
- The opportunity to sample some of the famous wines on offer
- Exploring the industrial waterfront area, the Funk Zone
- It’s a wine-tasting venue, not a bar, so it closes at 7pm
- No bathrooms inside the wine room
You’ll find a wide variety of wines at a range of prices available here.