Finnish Freeze TherapyPorvoo, Finland
Give the sauna the cold shoulder and air your lumps and bumps at a cool –120ºC. Haikko Manor’s Super Cold Treatment claims to leech away sleep disorders, stress and unsightly skin conditions, and locals have employed the technique to treat pain and rheumatic diseases for centuries.
Shimmy into a set of togs, pull on a pair of mittens and colourful felt booties then top off your ensemble with ear warmers – so you part with your ills, not your ears.
A one- to three-minute stint in the icebox earns you a diploma and you’ll greet a reinvigorated, refreshed you. It may not banish all your aches and pains, but for a while you’ll be too numb to notice.
- The luxurious manor looks straight out of a Disney movie
- Getting frozen then enjoying a warming massage – your muscles will love you.
- Going for a walk and see the beautiful Nordic coastline after your treatment
- The bragging rights. Bet your #wellness loving friends haven’t tried this technique
- You’re going to be agonisingly cold
- There’s basically zero proof it helps your body release toxins
There is a direct bus to Haikko Manor from Helsinki and also local buses that run in Porvoo.
- Luxury accommodation
- Swimming pool and sauna
- Spa treatments
- Outdoor walking tracks and sports facilities
A turn in the cold room will set you back US$43. Rooms start at about US$190 a night, including breakfast.
A nurse supervises all visits to the cold chamber.