Get glamping in MaineBar Habor, Maine
We’d never lie about being outdoor types, but even the most hardy among us doesn’t mind a tiny slice of luxury when it’s on offer. Which is why we love Terramor Outdoor Resort, set on Mount Desert Island and next door to Acadia National Park in the US state of Maine.
There are 64 tents in five different layouts – each sleeping between two and five people – spread across the 25-hectare property. We think you can’t go past the Bayberry, with its comfy king bed, lovely bathroom, patio and private outdoor firepit. (If you’ve got a crowd, though, the Moosewood has two bedrooms.)
The Lodge is the heart of the resort where guests can settle in for a meal at the restaurant, order a picnic or kick back at the bar. You can also order everything you need and cook yourself at one of the outdoor barbecue areas.
There is no end of activities on offer at the resort, and you can choose to be as active and engaged with the other guests as you like. There are outdoor yoga classes, cooking demos, bird watching, star-gazing sessions and music around the campfire. Grab a kayak for a paddle, go fishing or borrow a bike to explore. There’s also plenty of hiking to be done. Acadia National Park has forests, wetland, coastal areas, islands and 150 lakes stretched across its 20,000 hectares.
The hard core can wake up in the dark and hike to the top of Cadillac Mountain to be the first to see the sun rise in North America.
- The spectacular surrounds of this incredible wilderness setting with its coastline, lakes and forests
- Having the sounds of the outdoors lull you to sleep
- There is so much to do here, from hiking to fishing
- There are a lot of organised activities – it’s almost like school camp. Don’t worry, though, because there’s plenty of space to get away from everyone
- Overhead fans
- Meals at The Lodge
- Kayaks, bikes and fishing gear can be borrowed
- Organised activities
From about US$245 a night for the Bayberry Tent (three-night minimum).