Get pedalling in the high country Beechworth, Victoria
Experience a taste of northeast Victoria when you tackle the best recreational cycling route in Australia, the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail. Beginning in Beechworth and finishing in Bright, not only will you burn calories on this leisurely ride, but you'll also get to visit some of the state's most vibrant regional towns.
Once you climb into your saddle and get pedalling, you'll roll through stunning alpine locations, passing through natural bush and lush farmland, vast valleys and spectacular mountain ranges.
Don't worry though, this isn't the Tour de France, and the trip is suitable for all riders - even beginners with a pretty basic fitness level (e-bikes are also available). Along the way you’ll fuel up by sampling some of Australia’s finest local gourmet produce, wine and handcrafted beer. Smaller weekend groups even have the opportunity to partake in wine-making tutorials, talk to local farm gate producers and stopover at historic cellar doors.
Covering more than 100 kilometres of both sealed and off-road tracks, other popular towns on the trail include Wangaratta, Rutherglen and Myrtleford.
- The food! The region has become a gourmet hotspot overflowing with breweries, wineries and artisan producers
- The gorgeous alpine scenery – a highlight being Mount Buffalo
- Visiting the historic townships of Beechworth, Myrtleford and Bright
- If you happen to ride between March and May, you’ll get to witness a spectacular autumn show as all the leaves change colour
- If you don’t ride much, you may experience some saddle soreness after a couple of days. Grab some padded shorts or a gel seat cover – they make all the difference!
Make your way to Beechworth (3+ hours northeast of Melbourne). Transfers available from Albury and Wangaratta.
From US$338 per person for an all-inclusive weekend.
The Murray to Mountains Rail Trail is graded as easy. E-bikes make light work for beginners.