Get physical with altitude trainingSierra Nevada, Spain
Mild oxygen deprivation is all the rage in the elite sporting world, so head to the hills to train as the champions do. Boost your red blood cell count and pump up your haemoglobins as you tackle high-altitude training in Spain’s Sierra Nevada mountain range. Take advantage of a preparation program at Australia’s Bodyology Altitude Training Centre before jetting to Andalusia, where tuition is tough and the air is lean.
Perched at 2320 metres above sea level, the Centro de Alto Rendimiento (CAR Centre) boasts Olympic-sized everything, including multiple gymnasiums and a cycling track, swimming pool and soccer pitch.
Favoured by cycling king Cadel Evans and national swimming squads, it’s one of the world’s most acclaimed altitude training centres. Fly with the gods as you pelt around the outdoor athletics track, nestled between snowy mountains, and push your limit as you cycle, run and hike to 3395 metres.
The three-stage program alternates high and low living and training. After two intense weeks oxygen will feel so passé.
- Training with the elite
- The variety of physical activities with which to challenge yourself
- Breathtaking mountain scenery
- Taking a drive to nearby skiing sites and the coast
- Getting great advice about sports medicine and nutrition
- The centre is all about athleticism, so prepare to put in some hard yards
- That woozy feeling that comes with altitude
The closest airport is Granada. From there it’s about an hour by taxi or bus service. Be aware that the bus timetables vary between summer and winter seasons.
To get to Granada you’ll first need to fly to Madrid or Barcelona, then catch another flight from there. Iberia flies from Madrid and Air Europa flies from Barcelona.
- Comfortable accommodation
- On-site dining
- Storage facility if you’re bringing loads of equipment
- Indoor leisure areas
- Physiotherapy and medical assessment services available
Lodging costs US$100 for a night, a bit less if you share twin.
Get ready to sweat.