Get tropical at MiyakojimaOkinawa Prefecture, Japan
If you were asked to make a wish list of tropical island destinations, chances are Japan would not be on it. That’s about to change as word spreads about Okinawa, a string of hundreds of islands stretching almost a thousand kilometres from the southern-most tip of the mainland toward Taiwan.
Miyako Island is at just about the centre point, favoured with long stretches of white sand like Aragusuku and Yonaha-Maehama beaches. It has many of the same natural attractions as everyone’s favourite beach destinations, like Thailand and Hawaii, but with a fraction of the crowds. It's also a major destination for snorkelling and diving in the coral reefs...and don't forget to sample the Miyakojima cuisine, start with the Miyako soba, and finish with the Miyako beef.
- With no rivers running into the ocean, the swimming is safe, flat, and clear
- Idyllic diving and snorkelling conditions
- Look for sea turtles on Yoshino Beach
- Cross the longest toll-free bridge in Japan that connects Miyakojima and Irabujima
- Get stuck into Miyakojima cuisine including Miyako soba, yushi dofu, and Miyako beef
- Summer is the ideal time to visit (mid-May – Sep) but it gets pretty toasty with harsh UV rays…don’t forget to bring hats, sunglasses and sunscreen