Get wet and wild on a caving adventureWaitomo, New Zealand
As far as having fun in the dark goes, it doesn’t get much crazier than this. Pull on a wetsuit and for the next three hours climb, clamber and coast through Ruakuri Cave on the North Island. For part of the journey with the Legendary Black Water Rafting Co you’ll be taking the plunge over underground waterfalls, but there’s also the chance to kick back on your inner tube and float through limestone galleries lit by glow-worms. Each tour, with a maximum of 12 adventurers, is led by a guide who’ll make sure you emerge safe and sound into the sunlight.
- Marvelling at the thousands of tiny lights that manifest around you as the resident glowworms light up the cave
- Putting your newly learned skills to the test as you climb, plunge and float through the cave system
- Finding your inner-adventurer!
- Even with the wetsuit, it’s going to be a cold and wet expedition
- You’ll be in dark and, at times, confined spaces, which could make you feel a little claustrophobic
A number of airlines fly direct to Auckland from most Australian capital cities, including Air New Zealand and Virgin. The journey to the Legendary Black Water Rafting Company HQ by car is around two-and-a-half hours.
The Black Labyrinth tour costs about US$100.
The price includes your equipment – wetsuits, boots, helmets and tubes – you just need to bring swimwear and a towel (and your inner adventurer!)