Gin Haven at Four Pillars Laboratory Surry Hills, NSW
Those of us who live in Victoria have long travelled to Healesville to sip, sample and take home Four Pillars’ excellent gins. Now Sydneysiders get their chance.
The new digs incorporate a lab, with a German copper still called Eileen doing its thing, and a shop where you can stock your home drinks trolley. But there’s also the gorgeous Eileen’s Bar.
James Irvine has devised the drinks list, which is heavy with gin cocktails – check out the Tash Sultana, made with sherry cask gin, muscatel, pineapple botrytis, fig vinegar and caramel – but also includes wine, beer and cider. Chef Matt Wilkinson has come up with some great drinking snacks to go with it. Salt and gin vinegar chips or a plate of party pies? Don’t mind if we do.
- The privilege of sampling gin from the world’s best gin producer two years running
- Participating in a gin laboratory masterclass
- Sumptuous bar snacks by Melbourne-based chef, Matt Wilkinson – try the chips with salt and gin vinegar, or the nuts dusted in gin salt
- Dazzling variety of cocktails. Try the Innerbloom with quandong-infused gin with Davidson plum, blood limes and a clarified caramel made from Far North Queensland macadamia nuts
- Gin give you the blues? Matt Wilkinson’s eats are just the cure
Four Pillars is located at 410 Crown St, Surry Hills NSW 2010.