Heat Rises in a sauna cable carKolari, Finland
When it comes to Finland, ski slopes and saunas are two things that are synonymous with the territory. But what about a sauna, built into a gondola floating above a snow-slathered mountain? Throw in some heavy metal music and traditional Karelian pies, and you have yourself the ultimate Finnish experience.
Get your Finn on at Sport Resort Ylläs, where snow bunnies can unwind in the Ylläs 1 Gondola after a day carving up the slopes. The world’s first suspended sauna cruises a two-kilometre line, treating up to four riders at a time with 20 minutes of spectacular views of Lapland’s powder-white landscape.
Skiers looking for extra respite should book a two-hour package and soak in the outdoor hot tub at Café Gondola 718 (where there’s another sauna if you haven’t got sweaty enough), situated on the mountaintop. It can be enjoyed privately by up to a dozen guests.
- The breathtaking views of the landscape
- Being the envy of all your friends by being toasty warm inside the only suspended personal sauna in the world
- If you suffer from acrophobia
- It can get a bit cold at the top (the average temperature drops to –14ºC)
- Maybe not if sweat isn’t your thing
Renting the sauna gondola and the sauna and hot tub at the top costs $US1500.