Here we go loop de loopStaffordshire, England
Don't let the name fool you there's no way you'll be smiling once this headache-inducing contraption is done with you. The Smiler is the world's first 14-loop roller coaster, and while it may not be the tallest (its highest point is 30 metres) it does manage to reach a maximum speed of 85 kilometres an hour.
Now that's uncomfortably fast, especially when The Smiler lasts for a torturous three minutes. But the terror doesn't just begin the moment the over-shoulder restraints lock into place. Oh no. While lining up in the queue, which begins outside and moves into a darkened room, riders are subjected to projections, special effects, strobe lighting and optical illusions specifically designed to play tricks on your eyes and mind.
It's certainly disorientating enough to make you feel queasy about what's to come. Located at Alton Towers, the largest theme park in the UK, The Smiler has got enough sneaky tricks and loop-the-loops up its sleeve to guarantee you'll be left sufficiently shaken.
- The world’s first 14-loop roller coaster…14 loops!
- The lead up and anticipation while waiting in the darkened room with projections, special effects, strobe lighting and optical illusions
- Over 40 rides and attractions including the Oblivian, Wicker Man, Nemesis and plenty of rides for kids
- Check the calendar for events – Octoberfest, Sacrefest, Fireworks
- Some rides may not be operating due to weather and social distancing restrictions. Check before you book
Alton Towers Resort is located in Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB and is located between the M1 and the M6 and is well signposted from both motorways.
1 day pre-booked pass from US$44.
Not recommended for those with high blood pressure or heart conditions.
Alton Towers Theme Park is open Mon – Sun from 10am – 6pm.
For the Smiler participants need to be at least 1.4 metres tall to ride.