Hezen Cave HotelCappadocia, Turkey
You know a cave hotel is the real deal when you wake to find ceiling rock crumbling over the bed. Hezen’s elegant rooms have been fashioned out of the ancient caves that pockmark Cappadocia, and you can still very much feel the rocky atmosphere.
Each alcove and shelf has been hand carved with pockets of light accentuating the rock detail. Multiple terraces provide the perfect vantage point for enjoying the dramatic scenery, with views out across Ortahisar Castle. Located out of the tourist hub, this petite hotel has a homely atmosphere and is a Cappadocian experience in itself.
- Snacking on olives with a glass of wine on the terrace
- The spectacular view of Ortahisar Castle, particularly as the sun sets
- Living like a caveman with a splash of luxury
- You’re staying in a cave, so expect low ceilings and few windows inside some of the rooms
- There isn’t much to do within walking distance
If you’re coming by car it’s around 730 kilometres, or an eight-hour drive from Istanbul to Ortahisar. The distance between Ankara and Ortahisar is about 320 kilometres, about a four-hour drive.
The closest airport is Nevsehir Cappadocia Airport. There are daily flights there from Istanbul with Turkish Airlines. Nevsehir airport is about 50 kilometres and a 40-minute drive from Ortahisar. An airline shuttle service can be booked in advance.
- Open terrace
- Cave bathrooms with marble showers
- Central heating in the rooms and ground heating in showers
- Free wi-fi
- Hair dryer, towels and complimentary slippers
- Laundry room with iron and ironing board
- Safe deposit box
- Separate sleeping and living area (in suite rooms)
- Flat-screen LCD TV in the living room (in suite rooms)
- Mini bar and welcome tray (in suite rooms)
Rooms start at around US$130 per night.