Hitch a ride to Rockaway Beach New York City, USA
Yellow sand, salty water and summer beach vibes don’t exactly spring to mind when we think of New York City, but The Ramones were on to something when they decided to “hitch a ride to Rockaway Beach.” Nestled into the Rockaway Peninsula in Queens, this arty-vibe beach is growing in popularity, which makes a nibble and drinks at the Rockaway Beach Surf Club even more appealing. What started as a place for surfers to store their boards is now a beach club with a difference. Rockaway Beach Surf Club embraces the destination’s chilled-out urban beach vibe.
Welcomed by the phrase “Live. Surf. Die”, the club is devoted to the local neighbourhood and hosts a number of cultural and art events within its on-site gallery. Visitors to the club can chow down on some tacos with a side of chips (obviously!), while sipping a fresh watermelon juice or a delicious cocktail or two. It might not be quite the luxury poolside hangout you’d except of the term “beach club” but we’d be happy hitching the next ride to this NYC beachside hangout.
- The novelty and juxtaposition of having a surf in NYC and then sitting back with a few tacos and brews as trains rattle overhead
- The selection of deicious tacos; especially the fish
- Happy hour specials and laid back island vibes
- The unpretentious crowd – don’t expect to see any Kardashian types or frat boys
- Parking is almost impossible…take the subway