Hot Air Ballooning over the Masai MaraMasai Mara, Kenya
It is well worth the early pre dawn start to drift above the Masai; the only sound being the rushes of flame as the balloon pilot occasionally heats the air that keeps you afloat. It is certainly a whole new perspective to watch a lone elephant leaving a winding grass wake as the sunlight spills over the Mara or to look down on a giraffe nibbling an Acacia tree.
Outside of the game viewing the views from a hot air balloon highlights the beauty and vastness of the Masai Mara in a way that is impossible in a traditional open top vehicle.
- The perspective is well worth the price
- Floating in silence with the wind is quite magical
- The first spotting of game gets the blood rushing
- It is a really early start. Keep the previous evening sundowners to a minimum
- The landings can be a bit bumpy
- Check the forecast. It can get cold
A one hour champagne breakfast costs US $430 + US$50 Game Reserve Masai Mara Conservation fee.
Children 4 – 12 are US $230 + US$25 Conservation fee.
It can be a tad cold first thing until the sun comes up and the landings can be bumpy. We were dragged along for about twenty metres… the ant hill we hit was quite a bump.