Less is more at Koh LipeSatun Provincem, Thailand
Thailand is one of the last places on earth you’d expect to find a secret beach and, although Lipe isn’t deserted, you’ll find far fewer tourists and a lot less development here than on many of the nearby islands.
Koh Lipe is located in southern Thailand’s Satun Province, just a stone's through from the Thai/Malay border and part of the Tarutao National Marine Park. There are three main beaches: Pattaya, Sunrise and Sunset. Sunset is the least developed with shacks made of driftwood acting as bars and restaurants. At Sunrise Beach, you’ll find Castaway Resort with its breezy bungalows, some set right on the sand.
If you really want to get away from the hustle and bustle that some of the islands have regrettably become, Castaway Resort can pack you a lunch, organise a boat and drop you at one of the nearby deserted islands where you can make like Burt Lancaster and Deborah Kerr.
- Getting away from the masses and finding your own slice of heaven
- Snorkelling in the idllic, turquoise sea famous for its coral reefs
- Sampling the sumptuous food on offer – from Thai cuisine and seafood to Italian, Indian, vegetarian, and halal
- Sipping cocktails at one of the many beach bars. Try the OMG Sports Bar & Restaurant (Sunrise Beach) and the Longtail Bar (Pattaya Beach)
- If you are looking for a party island this isn’t it – get on a long-tail or speedboat and island hop if that’s what floats your boat
Get a one-way ferry ticket from Langkawi to Koh Lipe.
Koh Lipe offers a handful of budget and mid-range resorts, located on Sunset Beach, Sunlight Beach and Pattaya Beach. From US$50 – US$250.