Lounge poolside in ProvenceProvence, France
What was originally a family home is now an extraordinary estate in the heart of Provence known as Domaine Des Andeols. Surrounded by lavender fields, cypress trees and olive groves are 10 separate guesthouses. Although each boasts contemporary design and art and antiquities chosen by the owners, they are completely different. There’s one decked out like a safari lodge, and another with a high-gloss floor the colour of the Mediterranean sky and provocative photography on display.
On a sunny day, the meals created at the restaurant, using locally grown fruit, vegetables and olive oil, are served on a deck beneath a centuries-old plane tree. Find a lounger by the pool or book a relaxing massage at the spa.
- The views of the pool and lavender fields are something from a fairy tale
- Not only is the dinner served at the treehouse restaurant to die for, the staff are just as warm and welcoming as the landscape
- The lemon cake and candles that appear in your room during turndown service
- Everyone loves free parking
- No walk-in showers, so be prepared to soak in a tub
The closest big city is Marseille. Fly there with Air France, then hire a car and make your own way there. The countryside is beautiful.
- Free wi-fi
- 24-hour front desk
- Hammam bath
- Tennis court
From US$205 a night.
Best time to visit is in the lavender blooming season from June to August.