Milia Mountain RetreatCrete, Greece
Venture off the grid and get set for a Greek islands escape that defies clichés. Tucked away in the lush mountains of western Crete, this deserted seventeenth-century settlement has transformed into an eco-friendly paradise.
Each stone cottage has been delicately restored and features a small garden or balcony, elegant handmade furniture and a fireplace or wood-burning stove to stave off the winter chills. Leave your gadgets at home and prepare to disconnect – there are no in-room TVs or power outlets, giving you precious time to recharge.
Soak up the fresh air on a tranquil hike through the hills, sample a glass of wine from the local winery and enjoy the solitude. At night, dig into a delectable candlelit spread of organic homegrown Cretan delights and bask in the glow of the star-speckled sky.
- Being free of technology and allowing yourself to recharge your own batteries
- Soaking up the fresh air and solitude from the comfort of your private balcony or out on a leisurely bush walk
- No need to venture far for a meal when you can devour delicious Cretan dishes at the on-site restaurant
- If your gadgets are super important to you, you’re out of luck here
The hotel is best accessed by car. You’ll drive through stunning hilly landscape before arriving at the turn-off for Milia, with the last 2.5 kilometres taking you along a bumpy but delightfully scenic dirt road.
- Double or twin beds
- Small garden or balcony
- Fireplace or wood-burning stove
Rooms start at around US$85 per night.