Get Off the Grid at Pinetrees LodgeLord Howe Island, Australia
Imagine being able to truly switch off – no gadgets, no social media, no connection to the outside world – and simply head out with just your towel, a tube of sunscreen, the wind in your hair and the sound of ocean waves washing up on the shore. Sounds like bliss, right? Well, just a 90-minute flight from Australia's major cities Sydney and Brisbane, Pinetrees Lodge on Lord Howe Island is the definition of a digital detox. Surrounded by sparkling white sands and fringe pristine waters filled with vibrant corals and marine life, this slice of paradise will see you happily swapping 24/7 connection for serenity.
In keeping with being off the radar, not only is the resort a wifi, mobile reception and TV-free zone – temptations to check social media, email and world news, be gone! – its eco-friendly rooms will ensure you remain immersed in your new surrounds: think plush bedding for a blissful night's sleep, and louvre windows and french doors that open onto private timber decks and hinterland-like gardens. You won't even need to carry around your wallet or room key; all meals are included (you'll have four tantalising gourmet sittings each day) and the island is so safe that the rooms don't even have keys.
Without a care in the world, you can truly embrace your surrounds. Spend your days exploring pristine beaches, cliff edges and spectacular view points along the island's many walking trails or exploring the world's most southern coral reef by boat, snorkel or scuba. In the evenings, tuck into a world-class meal before settling back with a glass of wine to watch the sunset, play a game of pool with other guests, or linger in the library, curled up with a good book.
Before you jet off for your newfound tech-free sanctuary, we must confess: you can access the internet and use landline phones on the island, but once you've gotten over your initial withdrawals you'll discover a sojourn here will likely be one of the most rejuvenating experiences of your life. Spamming your friends with your jaw-dropping photos when you get home however? Completely acceptable.
- Disconnecting from your gadgets and embracing the opportunity to reconnect with nature
- The staff are exceptional and will ensure your every need is catered to
- The food is nothing short of world class, with the cuisine made up of fresh, locally sourced produce
- There’s recommended activities for each day, and with such a vast array of experiences to be had you’ll never be bored
- If being contactable 24/7 is a priority for you, Lord Howe Island may be a bit too much of a disconnect for you
- Weather determines the schedule of most activities and tours on the island, so you’ll need to be flexible with your time
QantasLink flies to Lord Howe Island daily from Sydney, and from Brisbane on weekends, with connections from most Australian cities.
- Queen-size bed
- Bathrobes and slippers
- All-natural toiletries
- Hair dryer
- Kettle with coffee and tea
- Ceiling fans
- Private balcony
Packages available from US$325 per person per night, including all meals, return airport transfers and use of lodge facilities.