QT SydneySydney, Australia
Slip between the sheets of homegrown beauty QT Sydney, an uber-cool hotel that stretches across two landmark buildings, the State Theatre and Gowings, in the heart of the CBD. Think speakeasy charm fused with geometric rugs, objets d’art – including a gown made entirely from undies – and a costume-clad host called the ‘director of chaos’. The lift serenades couples with love songs, groups with party beats and solo travellers with tunes about loneliness. Start the day with coffee at Parlour Roasters, rest your weary bones at the excellent spaQ (some of the treatment rooms feature gorgeous, original lead lighting), get a trim at the Barber Shop and, when you've returned from a day exploring the city, head downstairs to the cool Gowings Bar & Grill for a late-night tipple.
- The quirky, amazing design of the hotel makes it feel as though you’re very much on an escape
- You can spend hours checking out the amazing artwork and displays
- Blissing out a the day spa
- It’s an easy walk through the city to Circular Quay
- It can be hard to get a spot in the bar on a Friday night since it’s popular with the locals
- The rooms are certainly moody, but a little more light in the bathroom would be handy
- Room service
- Dry cleaning
- Valet parking
- Day spa
Double rooms from about US$240 a night.
For our money, the rooms looking over the Romanesque Queen Victoria Building, which begins to sparkle as the sun sets, are the ones to book.