Swim in subtropical waters with Iron ManLord Howe Island, Australia
Tired of doing laps in cloudy, chlorinated water or paddling in concrete 'rock pools'? We hear you. Imagine swapping your repetitive swimming routine – with nothing better to look at than the pool floor's tacky tiles – for gliding through pristine coral reefs and spotting turtles, rays, friendly reef sharks and up to 500 species of fish, all while being put through your paces by Australia's most famous Ironman, Trevor Hendy, off the coast of the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Lord Howe Island.
Make the fantasy a reality and join an Ocean Swim Week with Pinetrees Lodge. On from November to February each year, you'll spend five days swimming 1.5 to two kilometres around the island's spectacular subtropical coastline under the guidance of Trevor, who will offer lessons on technique, motivation and training. Awarded Member of the Order of Australia for his services to surf lifesaving and a member of the Sport Australia Hall of Fame, Trevor has also won medals at the World Championships in kayaking and the Uncle Toby’s Super Series, an Australian Iron Man circuit, so rest assured you'll be in good hands.
In the afternoons you'll be free to explore the many other things the island has to offer, including surfing, paddle boarding, kayaking, snorkelling, diving, walking, plus much more. All meals during Ocean Week are included, too, so fuelling up is a breeze, and plush, comfy beds ensure you'll be well rested at day's end. If you've been looking to discover this bucket list destination, this is the perfect combination of exercise, relaxation and indulgence.
- Plunging into the ocean every day!
- Receiving tips on training and technique from an Australian Iron Man champion
- Being able to be at ease knowing there is constant lifeguard support
- Tucking into fresh and fantastic local produce, including decadent four- to five-course dinners.
- There’s no mobile phone service on Lord Howe Island (landlines and limited internet is available though)
- You’ll need to stay somewhat flexible, as weather determines where the swims will take place
QantasLink flies to Lord Howe Island daily from Sydney, and from Brisbane on weekends, with connections from most Australian cities.
From US$2155 per person, twin share, in the Palm Room.
As guide, you should be able to swim 1.5 kilometres in less than 40 minutes.