The mystery of Poland's Crooked ForestNowe Czarnowo, West Pomerania, Poland
The peculiar trees in Poland’s Crooked Forest in Krzywy Las look more like an upside down question mark – a fitting shape for the puzzling place. Shrouded in mystery, the trees were planted in the 1920s and 30s, however the question behind the warped shape of these pines, while largely debated for decades, remains unknown.
Some theorise that tanks passing during World War Two pushed them aside and they have been stuck ever since. Others believe they were covered by a heavy snowstorm in the early years of their lives and when spring came they could no longer stand tall. Surrounded by a larger forest of straight growing pines unaffected by this bizarre event, the true reason is likely to remain a secret.
A thirty-minute drive from the city of Szczecin in Poland’s northwest, the forest is easily accessible for those who are keen walk among the unusual formations and ponder the theories of this fascinating enigma.
- The site of more than 400 crooked pine trees that look like they’re straight out of a fairy tale
- Devising your own theory why these crazy trees are crooked
- Being a lesser know attraction you won’t have to clammer over hoards of Instagram tourists
- Getting lost in the Crooked woods
- Finding connecting trains can be problematic and it is in the middle of nowhere but you’ll be rewarded in spades when you arrive