Tree House LodgeGandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge, Costa Rica
Experience pura vida (the happy life) Swiss Family Robinson-style when you visit the villas of Tree House Lodge, set in a lush jungle with the Caribbean at your doorstep. The super eco-friendly guesthouses were built using recycled materials (the wood is sourced only from fallen trees), and are solar powered.
Check out the Beach Suite, decked out with a massive bathroom that’s a psychedelic mix between a space pod and a seashell. Spend your days snorkelling and practising yoga on the beach, or hang out in a hammock with monkeys and sloths perched nearby.
- The beautiful 300-metre beachfront teeming with coral and marine life
- The houses built almost entirely from wood from fallen trees, pulled out of the jungle by oxen
- The toilet and shower nestled in the folds of a 100-year-old tree
- The howler monkeys are happy to let you know how early they wake up – bring some ear plugs
- Don’t be surprised if plenty of bugs, or even a lizard or two, join you in your room
Prepare for a four-to-five hour drive from San Jose on Highway 32. The hotel also offers a private transportation service, collecting you from the airport or your hotel in an air-conditioned mini van.
- Mosquito Net
- Kitchen and kitchenette
- Hot tub
- iPod dock
- Juicer and coffee machine
- Air-conditioning (in Tree House and Beach Suite)
Prices start at US$200 per night for a double room.