Your own Caribbean sanctuaryPortsmouth, Dominica
It’s supposed to be a secret, but this boutique retreat is just so appealing we can’t resist spilling the beans. From its perch on a cliff overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Secret Bay ticks all the boxes – incredible location, creative design and an eco-friendly ethos. Then it piles on more extras than you could possibly squeeze into one week-long stay.
For adventurers there’s diving, kayaking, caving and horse riding into the rainforest. Those looking to chill will be drawn to the waterfalls, white sand beaches and hilltop yoga sessions in warm air scented with guava, sweetsop and pineapple. Best of all there are just six villas, so your downward-facing dog technique is kept between you and the jungle.
- The treehouse-style villas with views of the Caribbean
- Wandering down to waterfalls and strolling on the white sand beaches
- Hilltop yoga sessions in warm air
- The Secret Bay amenities, including GoPros, kayaks, paddle boards and snorkelling gear
- It’s very romantic, which is fine if that’s your thing
- Plunge pool
- Hammocks, daybeds and shaded hammock sofa
- Modern open-plan kitchen
- State-of-the-art Sonos Bluetooth speakers
- Television with cable and Apple TV with Netflix access
- Selection of books and board games
- Refrigerator/freezer with icemaker
- Juicer and espresso machine
- Dishwasher and machine/dryer
- Breakfast basket, filled with a supply of farm fresh eggs, organic fruit and lots of goodies
Villas from US$990 a night.