Cube AletschEggishorn, Switzerland
Cube Aletsch bills itself as a 'million star hotel', and both points are fairly straight to the point: It is a cube, and the million stars it refers to are in the sky, rather than referring to thread count (even if there is a hot tub).
The cube is 2,800 metres in the air, so you're pretty close to the stars it refers to. This height also gives you breathtaking views of mountains (in true Swiss style) and the famous Aletsch Glacier from which it derives its name.
Watching the sun snake it's way from the gigantic valley below up the surrounding mountains, from the timber patio, with a bottle of wine and probably some Swiss cheese for good measure, is as good as travelling gets.
The cube itself is a humbly furnished living container, but that's all it needs to be, with access via a cable car. The Aletsch Glacier is one of Switzerland's most beautiful (which is saying something in a country full of epic mountains) but it's losing ice at a rapid rate, with scientists predicting it will have vanished by the year 2100, so see it now before it diminishes.
- Being 2,800 metres above sea level, in the middle of the Swiss Alps
- The slightly hair-raising ride there and back, via a cable car
- One of the best sunset/sunrise combinations you’re ever likely to see
- The slightly hair-raising ride there and back, via cable car
- Demand is high – the cube is booked out for the rest of 2022 already.