Anantara Kalutara ResortKalutara, Sri Lanka
Imagine spending days on a heavenly beach overlooking the Indian Ocean and nights in a suite designed by the late Geoffrey Bawa, Sri Lanka’s most famous architect. You can have all that and more at Anantara Kalutara, located on a secluded stretch of sand at the mouth of the Kalu River.
The spacious, contemporary rooms come in a number of sizes, and many have views of the ocean or lagoon. Go all out and book one of the villas with private plunge pool if you’re looking for a little seclusion.
There is plenty around the resort to keep guests amused, including two pools, four restaurants and bars and the Anantara Spa, but there are also a number of excursions that can be booked. Join one of the chefs at the local market before taking a hands-on class in cooking a Sri Lankan specialty, tour historic Galle City, go whale watching at Mirissa or visit one of the country’s famous tea plantations.
- There are three restaurants on site, cooking up Sri Lankan delicacies and international fare, so you’ll be spoiled for choice
- The elegant craftsmanship and local artistry in the hotel architecture
- All the exciting activities, including sunset cruises and visits to a turtle sanctuary, available
- It’s a larger hotel, so you might want to splurge on a pool villa for a little privacy
- Twin or king-size bed
- Balcony or terrace
- Rain shower
- Free wi-fi
- Nespresso coffee machine
- Mini bar
- LED flat-screen satellite TV
- Private plunge pools in some villas
Rooms start from US$205 a night.