Ecopod Boutique RetreatAppin, United Kingdom
Think James Bond meets David Attenborough. These two boutique, light-filled, heat-retaining domes have been designed to be low on environmental impact and high on techy gadgets.
They have open-plan, five-star interiors, an outdoor Japanese-style hot tub and views stretching out to Castle Stalker, Loch Linnhe and the west coast of Scotland. Choose from whitewater rafting in nearby Fort William, the outdoor capital of the UK, or gorging on your complimentary hamper of scallops (hand-collected by divers from the bottom of the loch) and local beers.
This is the kind of place where a three day escape off the grid is like a week away anywhere else.
- Glamp in style without spending a million dollars
- Amazing views of the mountains and coastline of Loch Linnhe
- The pods are extremely environmentally friendly
- Each pod comes with a decanter of Scottish malt whiskey – win!
- There are only two pods built with a third on its way, so availability is rare – so get in quick!
The eco pods are located in Appin, halfway between the major west coast towns of Oban and Fort William on the A828. Why not try something different and travel by seaplane? Loch Lomond Seaplanes operates a service from the River Clyde in Glasgow to Oban.
- Outdoor Japanese cedar hot soaking tub
- Digital TV
- The views on Scotlands West coast are magic
- Seriously stylish decor
- The adventure activities nearby
- No Wi-fi
- Natural heating… it can get cold
- You have to cook for yourself (or hit one of the great local nosh pits)
From US$704 for a three night minimum stay.