Sanctuary Gorilla Forest CampBwindi Forest, Uganda
No nature experience is more primal and stirring that staring into the eyes of a gorilla and seeing your soul reflected back in the gaze of your ancient, primate ancestors.
Hidden deep within the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest of southern Uganda, the Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp is a pure jungle awakening. Get back to nature among the mountainous terrain of volcanoes and waterfalls, while residing within a natural, yet luxurious retreat.
Take a trek to seek out the marvellous mountain mammals; if you’re lucky, curious gorillas may even venture into the campgrounds for an up close and personal visit.
After a day of trekking, private bathtubs in the campsite overlooking the jungle canopy are perfect for soaking and wildlife spotting as you wind down for the night. The onsite spa uses natural South African indigenous plants and local produce, including avocadoes and bananas, for organic wellness in the wild.
- Spotting wildlife and enjoying a cocktail in your private bathtub
- A chance encounter with a gorilla
- The tranquility of the rainforest
- All your meals being served to you at camp and on excursions
- Learning from the local community about banana beer and tea leaf production
- The extensive travel time to the camp
- Insects galore here
- There’s strict rules about how long you can spend with the gorillas. It’s a great idea but sometimes you’re left wanting more
There is an airstrip serviced by private charter flights 75 minutes away from the camp; the scenic route by car takes ten hours from Kampala.
- Spa treatments
- Restaurant and bar area
- Guided forest walks
Accommodation, including meals, costs between US$380 and US$620 a person each night. Gorilla permits, which cost US$600 per person a day, are an extra cost.
You’ll need to be at least a little fit for rainforest walks.
Bring insect repellent and sturdy walking shoes. Take extra security measures for yourself and belongings when travelling in metropolitan Uganda.