Move Mountains in AfricaRwenzori Mountains, Uganda
Most people associate Uganda with wildlife safaris, not summiting peaks. But a trek through the Rwenzori Mountains to the crest of Margherita Peak offers both. Take your first steps through montane forest, where you’ll spot chimpanzees and, if you’re lucky, L’Hoest’s monkeys, distinguished by their characteristic white beards. Then feel the burn as you begin the steep ascent; first, along a winding path deep into thickets of bamboo, and again through Namusangi Valley to sheer cliffs and thundering falls.
When you reach Bamwanjara Pass, you’ll be rewarded with panoramic vistas of glacial lakes below and snowy peaks above, and perhaps a sighting of the endemic scarlet-tufted malachite sunbird. Then, under the cover of darkness, boost yourself up frost-free rocks before making the final scramble to the summit of Margherita Peak and its jaw-dropping views.
Everyone else is on safari, so you’ll have this unique slice of Uganda all to yourself.
- The best of both worlds – wildlife and stunning mountain peaks
- Spectacular views of panoramic vistas of glacial lakes below and snowy peaks above from Bamwanjara Pass
- The final summit of Margherita Peak and its jaw-dropping views
- Spotting chimpanzees, L’Hoest’s monkeys, lizards and many other exotic animals including the endemic scarlet-tufted malachite sunbird
- Trekking through stunning Uganda on a less travelled tourist route
- The mountains can be steep and slippery, particularly if there has been frequent rainfall
Go with Kombi Tours for around US$1340.
Uganda is a landlocked country located in eastern Africa.
The eight-day Rwenzori Mountain Hiking tour departs on request.