Live in a wooden elephant in AsiaButtala, Sri Lanka
Dumbo would be proud to know that one of the world’s most unusual eco-hotels takes his shape. The two-storey Kumbuk River Elephant Villa has an open lounge on the upper deck and two extra-large bedrooms downstairs, all crafted from wood and straw. With its lush river location, about 260 kilometres from Colombo, guests can take advantage of all the resort’s activities, including nature walks, bird watching and rafting. If living inside an elephant doesn’t soothe your pangs for pachyderms, take a day trip to Yala National Park where you can spot leopards, water buffalo, sloth bears and, of course, Sri Lankan elephants.
- Feeling like king of the castle in the 40-foot two-storey Elephant Villa
- The seclusion – only 12 guests can stay at the resort at any given time
- Eat local food, using traditional methods, that’s cooked onsite
- The eco-tourism theme
- The natural surrounds – Kumbuk is built on a 16-acre river-front nature enclave
- The back to basics feel – though there’s everything you could need, there might not be everything you could want at this no-frills resort
From US$140 a night for two people.