Lux it up on safari in Sri LankaYala National Park
Hidden deep within the jungle of Sri Lanka's Yala National Park is probably the last place you'd expect to find a five-star luxury property. Chena Huts isn't your average accommodation option though, upon arrival you'll find 14 dome-shaped pods, each with a private plunge pool and all the modern finishes you'd expect of a high-end resort.
But Chena Huts is so much more than your average lavish holiday destination. It is super exclusive, extremely private (each hut is accessible only via raised boardwalk) and the property has been specially designed to harmonise with the jungle environment. It also borders the Indian Ocean on a beach where elephants wander down in the evenings to wash - how incredible is that?!
In fact, it isn't uncommon for an elephant to strut right through the resort itself! So whilst you're sipping sundowners after a day out on safari through the national park, keep an eye out for not only elephants, but also leopards, wild boars, buffalos and the elusive and quite dangerous sloth bear.
- The huts are epic!
- Your own private plunge pool with animals wandering past.
- The main pool is great for cooling off after a safari.
- The food and drinks are plentiful and delish.
- Elephant spotting down at the wild beach.
- Just how remote and rugged the place feels.
- The winding paths between the huts can get confusing.
- Spotting an elephant or sloth bear isn’t guaranteed, they are wild creatures after all!
Chena Huts is based on the south eastern tip of Sri Lanka, on the edge of Yala National Park. It is only a short drive from Tangalle but a long drive, especially in traffic, from Colombo.
- Swimming pool
- Home to one of Sri Lanka’s most opulent spas
- Dine at the The Basses restaurant.
Chena Huts is one of the premium places to stay when entering Yala National Park. It is all inclusive (including alcohol) and well worth the indulgence.
Prices start at US$1000 per night per room, but that includes morning and night safaris.
Difficult is not a word you associate with Chena Huts. Everything you could possible imagine has been thought of, taken care of and considered. Just arrive and enjoy yourself!