Ski Sky High in RussiaKamchatka Peninsula, Russia
Some may call a heli-skiing expedition through volcanoes an epic experience, others may call it bonkers. Home to the greatest concentration of active volcanoes in the world, Russia’s Kamchatka Peninsula has remained relatively untouched by humans. In keeping with this, the guided expedition chartered by private helicopter is limited to just six avid skiers.
Take flight to the summits of blazing volcanoes, drinking in unencumbered vistas puckered by jagged peaks blanketed in undisturbed powder and the glowing red eyes of molten lava, and fang down up to 3000 vertical metres of staggering virgin slopes to beaches and hot springs at the base. If you’re lucky, you might find yourself racing down the mountain beside one of the local brown bears. Only the adventurous need apply.
- Cover up to 3000 vertical metres of staggering virgin slopes right to beaches and hot springs at the base
- Incredible views of the volcanic peninsula
- Skiing sans the throngs of tourists
- With a limit of just six skiers, you’d want to make sure there were no party poopers on board
- Forget this one if you aren’t a skilled skier or suffer from vertigo
The eight-day Big Volcano tour start from US$14,000.