traverse the Altai MountainsGorno-Altaysk, Russia
Stretching across China, Russia, Mongolia and Kazakhstan, the Altai Mountains are a wildly rugged and completely breathtaking region rarely traversed by outsiders. The 11-day Altai Mountains Adventure kicks off from the Altai Republic capital of Gorno-Altaysk then heads into the depths of this otherworldly Siberian landscape. You’ll spot snow leopards, share in sacred shamanic rituals and cross one of the world’s most stunning thoroughfares, the Chuysky Tract.
Other highlights include exploring the magnificent Karakol and Kamtytugem Valleys, visiting the Little Aktru Glacier and gazing upon the red cliffs of Kyzyl-Chin. If you want an off-the-beaten-track experience, you’re in luck, because this is about as remote as it gets.
- Discovering the spectacular Golden Mountains of the Altai that span Central and Eastern Asia through Russia, China, Mongolia and Kazakhstan
- Visiting the glittering Little Aktru Glacier and the surreal setting of the red cliffs of Kyzyl-Chin
- Learning about the shamans and snow leopards
- Exploring Saylyugem National Park, home to some of Russia’s rarest and most endangered species including Altai argali mountain sheep and
the Snow leopard
- Not a fan of the cold? January temperatures range from −14 °C to −60 °C in the foothills
The 11-day Siberia: Altai Mountains Adventure with Wild Frontiers Travel starts at US$3700.