Sleep in luxury in a yak-hair tentGannan, China
Travel often takes us back in time and Norden Camp is no exception. Built by Tibetan nomads, the retreat has been designed to share the heritage of the land and people with its guests, fusing comfort and eco-sustainability with culture. Eight log cabins constructed from pine found in the woodlands and four hand–spun yak-hair tents dot the countryside, each featuring timber floors, luxe bedding and local antiquities.
The land is untouched by mainstream development so the seasonal produce – herbs, yak milk and black pig – is completely organic and used to create unique delicacies. Immerse yourself in the quiet surrounds with yoga, go horseback riding across the valley, or visit the famous monastic village of Labrang. Out here, it’s all about disconnecting from modern society – after all, you’ve got nothing but time.
- Waking up to untouched landscapes
- Meals made with organic produce
- Disconnect from everyday life with horseriding or yoga
- For some, no internet access would make them run for civilisation, while others welcome the break
- Carrying a significant amount of cash in foreign place is never comforting and no cards are accepted here
Fly with Emirates into Lanzhou Zhongchuan International Airport, then take a bus to Gannan.
- Dry toilet
- Heater or wood furnaces
Tents from US$320 a night, log cabins from US$520 a night; both including meals.
This accommodation only accepts cash payments, so come prepared!